Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Nutrition, Exercise and Sleep: Worth it in the Workplace



A lot of entrepreneurs may know the benefits of nutrition but can’t seem to find the time to fit it into their busy lifestyles.  With long days, little sleep and a lot of eating on-the-go, it can be hard to eat healthy and find the time to workout.  However, nutrition – both exercising and eating well—will help you in the business world!  I’m here to tell you why and what I’ve learned from working with Hitch Fit and their intense nutrition program: 

Increased Productivity
Lean startup entrepreneurs know how precious time can be.  However, it’s really important to take the time to make your own food.  A lot of entrepreneurs would see cooking or preparing food a completely unnecessary and time-consuming task (I used to!).  But keep in mind the way processed, fast food makes you feel later.  It’s really worth it to cook your own meals!

So what have I done to increase my productivity, yet still eat healthy?  I’ve cut back the Lean Cuisines, Town Topic lunch runs and bottles of Ensure in lieu of a homemade, healthier brown rice stir-fry (eggs, chicken, veggies, and spices.  Healthy food can taste good, too!).  I’ve really felt the difference throughout the workday by cooking my own healthy meals and I tend to get more done than when I’ve “saved” the time on eating the unhealthy options.

Creativity Boost
I have been working out with Micah and Diana over at the Hitch Fit gym twice a week in the afternoons (from 12:00pm-1:00pm).  Because I work out in the middle of the workday, I have noticed some pretty crazy improvements to my work style.  Working out helps me focus, so getting that afternoon exercise in really gets my creative juices flowing and prevents me from burning out around 3:00 or 4:00pm.  Working out during the day also helps me reduce stress.  It actually allows me some time to be social with a workout buddy (shout out to Micah LaCerte!).   Let’s face it; it’s a lot healthier than collaborating with a coworker for happy hour later.  When it comes down to it, I’ve found that without this mid-afternoon exercise, my mind is ready to checkout long before it needs to.

Higher Energy Levels
You’re an entrepreneur, so you’re probably not getting as much sleep as you should. You love your job so you work hard and there’s no shame in that (I have fallen victim to the 3:00AM emergency conference call far too many times).  However, that lack of energy is going to catch up to you at some point in the day.  When it does, squeeze in 15 minutes of yoga – find an empty room at the office or if you’ve got a great rooftop space like bizperc, get outside.  Each yoga asana has its own rewards, and there are several poses for boosting your energy when you hit that midday slump.

Just remember: to get healthy you’ve got to think big! The next time you’re craving an in-office snack, grab that apple instead of the candy bar.  Your body…and your company…will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment